This village was set up on the transit road between Karaliaucius (Konighsberg) and Klaipeda. The settlement was called Sandberg, which in German means sand hill. It was mentioned for the first time in 1429. Travellers, postmen, dispatch riders and militaries were staying there waiting for the ferry during storms and ice floating, which took days or even weeks. There was an inn, which provided rooms to stay. As the flow of travellers grew, the importance of this place grew allso. In the 16th century it was renamed Sandkrug (sand inn). By this name it was known until 1945.
The Swedish cavalry burned the inn down in 1629. It was rebuilt in 1696 by the order of the Curonian commandant. The new building suffered from the Russian occupation between 1757 and 1763. The new owner rebuilt the inn again in 1764, but soon it was threatened by sand. It was moved to the new place in 1782 and 1786 but sand continued attacking and almost buried it in 18800. The innkeeper Drake moved it one more time in 1804. Fire destroyed the inn in 1837. The plot was changing owners until 1862, when Klaipeda City bought it together with Sandkrug and its vicinity.
The recreational development of Smiltyne started in 1900, when a gu
From 1903 until 1945 Smiltyne was administrated as a part of Kopgalis district. Many cottages were deserted after the war. Foresters’ and seaport workers’ families moved into others. At present Smiltyne remains as a part of the Klaipeda City. About 100 residents live there today.
Kopgalis (former Suderspitze)
Kopgalis settlement appeared in 1795, next to the ballast-reloading site. Ballast was needed for empty sailing ships to keep stability in a stormy sea. The local government put much efffort into keeping permanent dwellers there in order to take care of hydrotechnical equipment (breakwater, bunes and loading grounds), necessary to improve ballast reloading work and to fight the sand invasion. The warder’s hut was mentioned in 1805. Rigorous living conditions scared people and nobody stayed for a longer time. The first permanent residents in Kopgalis settled just after the Prussian government provided them with many privileges. Seven huts stood there in 1821. Those who lived there worked at the ballast reload, st
Between 1903 and 1945, the Kopgalis district administrated three settlements: Kopgalis, Smiltyne and Meskadaube farmstead.
Kopgalis was the first recreational location in the spit. Men and wo